winetimes.co 08:40, 4th February, 2013
Creamy Bacon and Leek Pap Tart
This recipe uses bacon, mushrooms, cream and cheese layered with flavoured pap – scrumptious!
- 750 millilitre water
- 1 KNORR Garlic & Herb Potato Bake
- 750 millilitre Maize meal
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 2 Leeks
- 4 Bacon rashers, chopped
- 100 gram Button mushrooms, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 250 millilitre Fresh cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- In a pot, bring 2 cups of water (500ml) to the boil, add KNORR Garlic & Herb Potato Bake and boil for another 2 min
- In a jug, add maize meal to the remaining 250ml water and mix to form a smooth paste
- Add to the boiling water, stirring continuously to prevent lumps
- Reduce heat and cook for 20-30 min on medium heat, covered, stirring occasionally
- Remove cooked pap from the heat and pour into a large, flat baking dish and refrigerate until cold.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a pan, heat oil and fry leeks, bacon and mushrooms.
- Add 125 ml cream to the bacon mixture and simmer for 2 min.
- Slice the pap and layer half the quantity in an ovenproof dish.
- Top with the bacon and mushroom mixture.
- Sprinkle with half the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the remaining slices of pap over the top, and pour cream over.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 40-45 min until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
- Serve as a main meal or as a side serving.