- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 T olive oil, plus extra to grease
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 thick slice wholewheat bread
- 1/3 cup hot chicken stock
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 500 g ostrich mince
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Flour, for coating
- Italian parsley, chopped, to garnish
For the sauce, blend together:
- 1 x 410 g can tomatoes in juice
- 2 T tomato paste
Preheat the oven to 190°C.In a saucepan over a low heat, gently soften the onion in the oil. Stir in the garlic.
Crumble the bread and soak it in the stock. Mash together and allow to cool. Mix with the beaten egg, onion and garlic, and mince. Season to taste.
Form into 10 to 12 tennis ballsized rounds and coat with flour. Place in an oiled baking pan, cover with the sauce and bake for 30 minutes or until just cooked and nicely coloured. Garnish with parsley.