Wine making is no easy task. It involves patience, know-how and time. How knowledgeable are you about wine making? Take the quiz and find out if you're smarter than a winemaker.
1. Another name for a winemaker is:
2. Champagne made from 100% Pinot Noir is usually labelled as:
3. What’s the purpose of egg whites in the winemaking process?
To preserve the wine
To add some protein to your daily diet
To clarify red wine
To add more fruit flavours to the wine
4. Your grapes are ready to be harvested when:
The grape is ripe and taste sweet
They fall off from the vine
The green colour of the grape turns red
The grape skin burst open
5. How much water do established grapevines need during a drought?
Water once a day
No need to water
Water once a week
Water once every second day
6. The term "skin contact" refers to:
Stomping grapes barefoot
Putting fruit peels in wine to add flavours such as lemon, peach or cherry
The mouthfeel of the wine when tasting
Steeping grape skins in juice or fermenting wine to provide colour and flavour
7. What is used to keep the fermentation tanks icy-cold?
8. During fermentation, what is the substance that converts the grape juice into alcohol?
9. What is one form of measurement of a grape's sugar content, indicating its ripeness level at harvest?
Tons per acre
10. What do you see in this picture?
Trellising for next season's Merlot
Tractor parking bays