The 15th Edition of the TAJ Classic Wine
by BramptonwinesTrophy will be taking place from 4th to 8th March 2013 at the TAJ Hotel in Cape Town.
Committed to upholding the highest standards in this unique celebration of South African wine, The TAJ Classic Wine Trophy will again host a prestigious panel of French judges who will adjudicate South African wines in order to recognize, reward and promote the elegance, balance, finesse and ageability in South African Wines.
The panel of French judges comprises:
Olivier POELS -‐ Editor and managing partner of La Revue du VIN de France
Emmanuel NASTI -‐ Sommelier and co-owner of the Chambard Hotel restaurant in Kaysersberg. Alsace.
Jacky BARTHELME -‐ Cellarmaster and co-owner of the Domaine Albert Mann. Alsace.
Jean Luc JAMROZIK -‐ President of the Sommelier Association of Paris and sommelier of Baltimore Hotel.
Denis GARRET -‐ Sommelier consultant and expert in spirits and Champagnes.
Philippe DIETRICH -‐ Winemaker and director of Michael Petzold Wine Services (Pty) Ltd
Pieter DE VILLIERS – French rugby legend, Springbok trainer and co-‐owner of Domaine Mas Angel.
Claude GILOIS -‐ Wine writer, consultant and wine blogger.
Christophe DURAND -‐ Taj Classic Wine Trophy organiser and proprietor of Vins D’Orrance
Michael BONGRAND – Head Sommelier of Le Saint Geran, Mauritius
Germain LEHODEY – Sommelier Orient Hotel and Mosaic Restaurant, Pretoria
Judges in panels of three, over 3 rounds, will blind taste all entrants to compile a shortlist which will then be re-‐tasted blind by all judges in the Grand Finale. Prior to the results being revealed, a South African panel of judges will determine which of the 20 Bacchus winners present the best overall value for the benefit of readers of GQ magazine South Africa, and patrons of the Taj Cape Town. Judges will award 6 wines with certificates based on an index derived from blind tasting scores-‐ ranking wines in terms of both quality and suitability for readers of GQ and patrons of TAJ Cape Town-‐ and cellar door price level.
The panel will comprise:
Jonathan STEYN – OIV MSC in Wine Management and Tasting Academy Graduate
Neil PENDOCK – Sunday Times Wine Columnist and wine judge
Christian EEDES – Editor and owner of whatidranklastnight.co.za and prominent wine judge
Craig TYSON – Editor of GQ magazine South Africa
Michael POWNELL – Group General Manager of Taj Cape Town
Tatiana MARCETTEAU – Sommelier at TAJ Cape Town;
WHY SHOULD WINERIES ENTER?
Entrants stand the chance to win some of these fabulous prizes. 1. 20 Bacchus Trophies and certificates will be awarded to the winner in each of the 23 categories, based on varietal or style. Thereafter, an overall winner of The TAJ Classic Wine Trophy will be determined. Bottle stickers are also available for Bacchus trophy winners.
2. La Revue du VIN de France, will:
• Dedicate a stand to the Taj Classic Wine Trophy at the annual La Revue du VIN de France event in Paris at the Palais Brogniart on the 24 and 25 of May 2013. Bacchus Trophy winners may either:
o Send 24 Bottles of the winning wine for tasting at the event;
o Have their wines presented at the show by Christophe DURAND who will attend the event and be at the stand;
o Present their wines at the stand themselves ( at their own expense)
• Host a master class by Olivier Poels about South African wines at this event.
• Create space for winning wines’ details to appear in the 2013 edition of La Revue du VIN de France which is distributed to all Francophone countries and now also via La Revue du VIN de France CHINA
3. The overall TAJ Classic Wine Trophy Winner, given to the most iconic entry for 2013, will receive two brand new 225 litre barrels to the total value of 1400€. The barrels originate from our partners Darnajou of Saint Emillion, Bordeaux, and Gillet of Saint Romain, Burgundy; coopers with world-‐renowned reputations for quality and excellence.
4. The 6 GQ/ Taj selection wines will be awarded with certificates at the Awards function, and included in the GQ wine selection for the July issue as well as the TAJ Cape Town newsletter. In addition, this selection will also be served in the Restaurants of the Taj Hotel Cape Town for the month of April 2013.
AWARDS CEREMONY AND ENTRIES
Judging of wines entered into this prestigious competition takes place between 4 th and 7 th of March 2013 at the TAJ Hotel in the heart of Cape Town. Winners, judges and media will be invited to an exclusive dinner and awards ceremony held on Friday, 8th March 2013 in the luxurious ST GEORGES ROOM, THE TAJ HOTEL, CAPE TOWN.
Entries need to be in by Friday, March 1st at 15h00. Enquiries can be directed to Sabrina on [email protected] or (021) 683 7479 (office).