Who does not like a proper Cheese Burger? Leopard’s Leap Cheese Burgers on the Braai are easy to make with only a few pantry staples, a generous slice of Cheddar and of course, a glass of Leopard’s Leap wine!
Cheese Burger Braai
- 1 kg freshly ground beef mince
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 slices Cheddar cheese
- 6 large burger buns, preferably home-made, toasted if desired
- tomato sauce
- thousand island dressing
- sliced red onion
- sliced tomatoes
- sliced pickles
- fresh lettuce leaves
- In a large bowl, mix beef mince, onion powder and salt and pepper until just combined. Do not overmix, to avoid patties turning out tough.
- Divide into six portions and form patties with uniform thickness (do not press too hard). Using fingers, smooth out any cracks. Prepare patties right before you braai and keep them at room temperature.
- Braai the patties until the crust that forms on the bottoms of the patties releases them from the grill (about 2 minutes). Gently test, and when the patties lift up easily, flip, add two slices of cheese to each, close lid (if using a grill), and cook on the other side for another 2 – 3 minutes for medium to medium rare.
- Remove patties with a sturdy metal spatula and transfer to a plate. Allow to rest for several minutes, then transfer to buns.
- Garnish as desired and serve immediately.