Enjoy this Chocolate Bread And Butter Pudding paired with the Rietvallei 1908 Muscadel.
- 40g unsalted butter, softened.
- 9 slices white bread, remove crust, cut into medium slices
- 40g raisins
- 400ml full cream milk
- 50ml double cream
- 100g 70% dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 orange, zested
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a medium-sized square ovenproof dish with butter.
- Lightly butter the bread slices and arrange the slices in your baking dish, sprinkle over half the raisins. Add the remaining bread and scatter over the remaining raisins. You can also add cranberries or similar dried fruit.
- Place the milk, double cream, chocolate, sugar and orange zest in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water and heat, occasionally stir, until the chocolate has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, then slowly add the milk mixture, whisking continuously. Pour the mixture over the bread, making sure every bit of bread is covered. Leave to stand for 20 min. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 30 min.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.