Beer and dessert for breakfast? Why not?! Delicious and totally acceptable if it’s in these chocolate stout beer waffles with whiskey syrup!
Chocolate Stout Waffles
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, 55 g
- 12 ounces stout beer, 275 g
- 2 cups all purpose flour, 240 g
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 45 g
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 39 g
- 1/2 cup milk (see notes), 110 g
- 2 eggs (see notes)
Whiskey Butter Syrup
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp whiskey ( we’ve used Irish or Canadian)
- powdered sugar
- mini chocolate chips
- Place the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until it melts, then pour in the beer and stir. Cook for about 3 minutes, then remove from the heat and set aside. Preheat your waffle iron.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients.
- Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the butter and beer mixture. Whisk in the eggs and milk. Stir until just combined. Using a large cookie scoop, pour batter into your waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions. Usually about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the waffle and set on a rack in a warm oven until you finish cooking.
- Melt all the syrup ingredients together in a small sauce pan over medium low heat, stirring frequently. Do not allow to boil. Cook 3-4 minutes until the alcohol has burned off.
- Serve waffles immediately topped with syrup, powdered sugar, and mini chocolate chips!