Coked up Caribbean soft drink would never hit major UK retailer

A UK Navy veteran has died after drinking a Caribbean pear juice drink loaded with cocaine, and police say they believe he drank a ‘rogue bottle’ taken from a consignment used to store drugs.

But leading food safety expert Professor Tony Hines, from Leatherhead Food Research, says such a tainted product would never get near the shelves of a mainstream UK retailer.

Hampshire Police said in a statement last night that 33 year-old Joromie Lewis from Gosport, Hampshire, became ill immediately after drinking the pear fruit drink – Cole Cold Pear-D – in Southampton and died within hours at a city hospital on December 5.

more on