Hot Buttered Rum is a cocktail made for winter. Just like many of the other winter warming drinks laced with liquor, the hot buttered rum recipe can be adapted to your liking. If you have a favourite flavour, such as vanilla, go ahead and add it in. If you have an old bottle of homemade holiday liqueur gathering dust, add a splash to the mix. Heck, why not throw some cannabis into the winter cocktail pot?!
Cannabis Spiked Hot Buttered Rum Cocktail
With endless taste possibilities, we prefer to start with the basics and use this base recipe as a springboard to cocktail creativity.
Traditional Hot Buttered Rum Recipe
- 1 stick/4 ounces/115g butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch of salt
- 2 ounces/60ml dark or aged rum
- 6 ounces/180ml hot water
- Cinnamon stick, for garnish (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, combine butter, vanilla extract, sugar, spices and salt. Beat until well combined.
- In a heat-proof glass or mug, combine aged rum with 2 tablespoons of the spiced butter mixture. The remaining batter can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for future use.
- Top with hot water and stir until ingredients are well incorporated. Garnish with a cinnamon stick if preferred.