Say no to ridiculously marked-up Black Market booze! Rather stock up on some apples and brew up a big batch of your own intoxicating sparkling cider in the safety of your home.
Making your own home brew might go against the spirit of the law, but it isn’t expressly prohibited by the adjusted alert level 3 lockdown regulations. Drink responsibly.
- Large pot
- Large metal spoon
- Cheesecloth, or a fine sieve
- 2 x 2 litre cooldrink bottles with lids, well washed
- 12 Granny Smith apples, unpeeled and quartered without removing the cores
- 2 oranges, cut into quarters
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 10ml (2 tsp) cloves
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground allspice
- A knob of ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- 4 litres of water
- 125ml (½ cup) brown sugar
- 10ml (2 tsp) Brewer’s yeast
Not such a big fan of cider? Then you can always brew your own beer at home, without breaking a sweat!