Enjoy this Molten Chocolate Lava Cake Recipe paired with Rietvallei Muscadel.
- 180g dark chocolate (70% dark chocolate), roughly chopped
- 250g butter, cut into cubes
- 4 egg whites
- 6 egg yolks
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ¼ cup plain flour, sifted
- Double cream or vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Place chocolate and butter in a small pan. Melt on very low heat, stir everything together. Allow it to cool down to room temperature.
- Use butter to cover your ramekins in the inside or alternatively use a baking spray.
- In a separate bowl whisk the 4 egg whites and 6 yolks together with the sugar until thick and pale and the whisk leaves a trail; use an electric whisk if possible. Sift the flour into the eggs, then beat together.
- Once the chocolate mixture has cooled down, pour it into the egg mixture in thirds, beating well between each addition, until all the chocolate is added and the mixture is completely combined to a loose cake batter.
- Heat oven to 190°C. Place the fondants on a baking tray, then cook for 7 to 10 mins until the tops have formed a slight crust and they are starting to come away from the sides of their ramekins. Remove from the oven, then leave to rest for 2 min. Serve with a heavy dollop of cream or a large spoonful of vanilla ice cream.
It’s important that the fondants are not over-cooked and that the inside is full of runny “lava-like” chocolate, when you take your first bite the chocolate should be oozing out the center of the cake. If it’s not you should decrease your cooking time, 30 seconds can make all the difference.