Boplaas Family Vineyards in Calitzdorp is synonymous with world-class port, table wines made from Portuguese varieties and award-winning distilled beverages. This reputation was re-affirmed this year when the winery received its 20th five-star award from the esteemed Platter’s South African wine guide.
No less than eight of these champions are now available from its tasting rooms in Calitzdorp and on the Garden Route at Klipheuwel, Klein Brak; and, Boplaas’ online shop. They include older ports from the winery’s vinoteque and only released now as a way of showcasing the ageability of the wines.
The five-star award-winners currently on offer:
- Boplaas Cape Vintage Reserve Port 2004, winner of the Trophy for Best SA Port (Museum Class) at Michelangelo International Wine & Spirits Awards in 2020.
- Boplaas Cape Vintage Reserve Port 2006, which won the SA Champion Port & SA Young Wine Show 2006, as well as 95 points from Tim Atkin, UK Master of Wine, a Veritas double gold, Grand d’Or at the Michelangelo International Wine & Spirits Awards and the Museum Class champion at the Cape Port & Wine Challenge.
- Boplaas Cape Vintage Reserve Port 2008, ambassador of an exceptionally small harvest. Stock had to be released on allocation only. This wine received Gold at Veritas and in the vintage class of the Cape Port & Wine Challenge.
- Boplaas Cape Vintage Reserve Port 2009, which won the Multi-Color Corporation Grand Prix award for the top-scoring dessert wine at the Michelangelo International Wine & Spirit Awards; 94 points from Tim Atkin; Veritas Double Gold; and title as Best Overall in the Winemag.co.za 10-year matured wines assessment, with a score of 95.
- Boplaas Cape Vintage Reserve Port 2017, named Port of the Year by the Platter’s guide. It was also SA Champion Port winner at the SA Young Wine Show 2017; best South African sweet wine at the National Wine Challenge/Top 100 SA Wines competition; received 95 points from Tim Atkin; and, won Double Gold at Veritas.
- Boplaas Cape Tawny Reserve 1995, a testament to patience and craftsmanship. The 1995 Tawny was made from Tinta Barocca and Touriga Nacional in 1995. Boplaas has only produced vintage Tawnies in 1980, 1992, 1995 and 1997, and will be releasing a 2005 soon. The 1995 received Double Gold at Veritas and Gold at the Cape Port & Wine Challenge and Michelangelo International Wine & Spirits Awards.
- Boplaas Cape Tawny Vintners Reserve NV, which is aged for a longer period in oaked barrels and incorporates wines selected from barrels ranging from 12 to 25 years of age. It is lusciously complex and shows heady aromatics and a nutty profile.
- Boplaas 20YO Pot still Reserve Brandy, a spirit that highlights the farm’s long heritage of distillation. Records from1880 reveal the first order of potstill brandy casks being sent to Cape Town harbour by ox-wagon, for delivery to London. The Klein Karoo’s warmer and drier climate optimises the interaction of spirits and cask wood, allowing for higher extraction of flavours and deeper ageing. The combined effect of 20-year-old Limousin and old port casks; climate; and, an insatiable thirst of the local angels created a brandy brimming with ripe stone fruits, honey, herbal and floral notes and a sublimely smooth mouth-feel and finish.
To explore the extensive range of Boplaas ports, still wines and outstanding spirits, visit the online shop at www.boplaas.co.za. Orders are shipped across SA. Purchases over R1 500 are delivered free of charge.