Mmmmm, nothing beats a pork belly with crispy crackling for lunch or dinner. The trick to crunchy crackling? Dry skin. The skin on the pork belly needs to be very dry for it to be able to bubble and crisp up.
Enjoy this divine Pork Belly recipe paired with the Rietvallei JMB Chardonnay.
- 1.5 kg Pork belly Deboned
- 1 tbsp salt.
- 2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper.
- 1 tsp thyme.
- ½ tsp smoked paprika.
- Preheat the oven to 210°C.
- Score the skin of the pork belly; be careful not to cut through the meat.
- Rub the skin and meat of the pork belly with the salt, black pepper, thyme and smoked paprika.
- Place the pork belly on the wire rack with a dripping tray below it.
- Roast the belly for 35 – 40 minutes at 210°C, then turn the temperature down to 160°C and allow it to roast for another 60 minutes.
- When the pork belly is cooked, remove from oven and allow to rest.
- Carve the meat once rested and serve with mash and gravy and a dollop of mustard.