If you are planning a party or family gathering, these red wine caramelised onions and goats cheese tartlets make for the most delicious tapas. Really simple to make and loaded with flavour. Try this recipe and let us know if you love it as much as we do!
- 3 onions (thinly sliced)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 250 ml Rietvallei Shiraz
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3-4 sprigs thyme leaves
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 Roll frozen puff pastry
- 200 grams goat cheese (25g per tartlet)
1. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions over low heat until softened but not browned, about 15 minutes.
2. Add ½ the red wine and deglaze the pan, allowing all the liquid to cook off.
3. Add the sugar, thyme, salt and pepper and cook for 5 more minutes.
4. Add the remainder of the red wine and once again continue cooking and stirring until the liquid has cooked off.
5. Place your puff pastry sheets on a floured surface and cut out the circles to the desired size. You could also cut the pastry into 4 x squares. This way you better optimise the pastry sheet with no wastage through offcuts. This recipe makes 8 tartlets that are 8cm in diameter.
6. Score the inside of the pastry with a small cookie cutter or a knife, but don’t cut all the way through, to make a small rim.
7. Bake in an oven that has been preheated to 180°C for 10 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and press down on the inner circle piece so that it drops down, it should come away where you have scored it, and fill each pastry case with the caramelised onions.
9. Top with the goats’ cheese (you can either crumble this or cut into discs), scatter over fresh thyme leaves and return to the oven to bake for a further 20 minutes.