Italian Bread, sliced into thick pieces and soaked in a traditional egg and milk mixture and, wait for it…. stuffed with a fruit mixture including raspberries and peaches that have soaked overnight in a summer sangria! A summer breakfast favourite for those who like French toast with a dash of booze-infused goodness.
- 750 mL bottle semi-sweet white wine
- 4 ounces peach liqueur
- 16 ounces frozen raspberries
- 16 ounces frozen peaches
- 16 ounces club soda, optional
- 1/2 cup peach preserves
- 1/2 cup raspberry preserves
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 8 slices French or Italian bread
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of nutmeg
- powdered sugar
- In a large pitcher, add wine, peach liqueur and frozen fruit.
- Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to meld together.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, add half of the fruit from the sangria with a slotted spoon.
- Over medium heat, add peach and raspberry preserves and bring to a simmer. Allow simmering for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together water and cornstarch and then stir into the fruit mixture. When thickened, remove from heat.
- In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, milk, vanilla and nutmeg. Dip four slices of bread into the mixture and place coated side down on a parchment or silicone mat covered baking sheet,
- Spoon fruit mixture on top of the bread.
- Coat the remaining four slices of bread in milk mixture and place coated side up over the fruit mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes until lightly brown and then carefully flip to brown the other side.
- Bake for an additional 6 minutes.
- Remove and plate immediately, serving with any remaining fruit mixture and powdered sugar.
- Before serving Sangria to enjoy as a cocktail, add a bit of club soda to each glass for a bit of fizz.