Mushrooms make great tacos because of the texture, taste, and look. These vegan mushroom tacos are a delicious meatless alternative to the traditional version of this classic crowd pleaser.
- 8 mini soft shell tortillas
- Pickled red onion
- ½ pineapple, cut into small cubes
- Fresh coriander
- 1 avocado
- Tabasco, fresh chilli or your favourite hot sauce
- 2-3 limes
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 250g baby button mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Minced zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Place the avocado flesh in a small plastic jug. Squeeze in the juice of 1 lime and generously season with salt and pepper. Add a few dashes of your favourite hot sauce or half a fresh chilli. Blend with a stick blender until creamy and smooth. Set aside in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a large roasting pan, combine the mushrooms with the olive oil, salt, garlic, paprika, ground cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, lemon zest and pepper. Toss to coat and roast for 10 minutes. Toss with the fresh parsley as the mushrooms come out of the oven.
- Grill / Char the tortillas lightly on a griddle pan or over and open flame.
- Assemble your tacos with a generous swish of guacamole, a pile of mushrooms, fresh cubes of pineapple, a few pieces of pickled onion and a sprig of fresh coriander. Fold up and enjoy.