Bump up the holiday spirits with this ultra boozy bread. It’s the holiday season, which means it’s time to kick back, relax and make merry.
The fruit in this bread is plump and juicy which makes the loaf moist and rich in spices. Prepare yourself to eat this morning, noon and night, it’s that delicious!
When it comes to picking the booze for the bread go with a good brandy. The fun part comes in at the selection process. It’s important that you sample a few brandies before you make the final decision.
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons ground nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 1 1/2 cups chopped nuts
- 1 1/2 cups dried mixed fruit
- 1 1/2 cups butter, melted
- 2 cups brandy
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees F (110 degrees C). Grease and flour a tube pan.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, soda, spices, eggs, lemon rind, vanilla, 1/2 cup brandy, fruit, nuts, and melted butter or margarine. Mix thoroughly. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Wrap cooled cake in foil. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons brandy over the cake everyday for 2 weeks.