To modernize risotto, a beloved Italian comfort food, we used couscous and lively North African-inspired flavors to create a dish that is just as satisfying as the classic creamy version.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) uncooked Israeli couscous
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 blocks of chicken broth dissolved in 500ml water
- 2/3 cup dried tropical fruit
- 1 can (15 to 15-1/2 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 medium lemon
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add chicken, couscous, salt, pepper and pepper flakes; cook and stir until chicken begins to brown, 3-5 minutes. Add broth and dried fruit; cook, uncovered, until chicken and couscous are tender and fruit is moist, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; heat through. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Meanwhile, zest lemon peel into strips; cut lemon into six wedges. Top couscous with zest strips and serve with lemon wedges.