This lip-smackingly good Waterblommetjie recipe is a South African favourite and serves 4.
Important: Soak your Waterblommetjies in salt water overnight. Rinse thoroughly thereafter.
- 600g Lamb Rib
- 500g Baby Potatoes
- 200g Onion, sliced
- 500g Waterblommetjies with stems cut off and into smaller pieces
- 150ml Water
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Juice from ½ a Lemon
- Cloves (to taste)
- 2 Cups Rice
- In a pot on the stove or braai, add your olive oil. Once heated add your sliced onion until cooked. Remove the onion from pot into separate bowl.
- Add the meat into the same pot and cook until lightly browned. Season with salt & pepper while cooking.
- Add your water to the meat and place the cooked onions on top of the meat. This has to simmer over a medium heat for about an hour with minimal stirring. Try not to stir at all.
- Add you Waterblommetjies and simmer for a half an hour. Add more salt and pepper to your pot.
- Lastly add your baby potatoes. Cook for another half an hour.
- Gently stir your pot and add more seasoning if needed. Add a dash of lemon juice and stir again. There after add your cloves.
- Simmer your pot for a last half an hour.
- Enjoy on a bed of rice and a slice of lemon.