I have been making this recipe for years. It is not overly sweet, which I prefer in a breakfast muffin. I always like a bit of jam on my muffins, so I added it to the inside. Perfect for camping trips, these apple, lemon and cinnamon muffins make for a no fuss breakfast. The other thing that makes this recipe great is that most of the ingredients should be in your pantry, making it just perfect for whenever the mood strikes.
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 10 Tbsp. butter (1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp), room temp. (or melted if need be)
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest (optional)
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 granny smith (or similar apple), peeled cored and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- strawberry jam to fill (or your favorite)
- Stir together flour baking powder and salt
- Cream together 1/2 cup sugar and butter. Add eggs then lemon zest, juice, and milk. Mix well. Stir into dry ingredients until evenly moistened. Fold in apples.
- Spoon half into prepared muffin cups. Top each with a dollop of jam. Top with remaining batter.
- Mix 1 Tbsp sugar with cinnamon and sprinkle over muffin batter.
- Bake for 15 min. at 425, or until a toothpick (or knife) inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool 1-2 min before removing to wire racks or paper towel to cool.