Panna cotta is the kind of dessert recipe that looks complicated but is actually so easy that you can make the base in less than 30 minutes. This family recipe for Panna Cotta is courtesy of Rietvallei Wine Estate and pairs perfectly with Rietvallei Muscadel.
- 4 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of water
Panna Cotta Ingredients:
- 500 ml whipping cream
- 110 g sugar
- 4 gelatin sheets
- half stick of vanilla or alternatively 3 teaspoons vanilla essence.
Instructions for Panna Cotta:
- Soak the gelatin in a bowl of cold water for 10 minutes.
- Butterfly the vanilla bean using a sharp knife. Scrape the seeds out using the knife or if using vanilla essence skip this step
- Place the cream, sugar and vanilla seeds or vanilla essence in a saucepan and bring to a boil while slowly stirring with a whisk.
- Once the cream has come to a boil, remove from the heat and add the gelatin sheets (drained and squeezed before adding). Stir to allow the gelatin to melt into the cream.
- Pour the mixture into small panna cotta molds or using what is available. Then, place the molds in the fridge for at least 3 to 4 hour
Method for Caramel:
- Add the sugar and 1 Tbsp water in a saucepan and place it over low heat. Shake the saucepan so it mixes well. Once it has turn into caramel and browned to the desired color set aside for later.
- Pour over the panna cottas once they are done refrigerating, we recommend only making the caramel after the panna cotta has set in the fridge.