This recipe is perfect for a special occasion or a simple weeknight dessert. The puff pastry is light and flaky, and the chocolate filling is rich and decadent. The Rietvallei Muscadel 1908 is a sweet, fruity wine that pairs perfectly with the chocolate. The wine’s acidity cuts through the sweetness of the chocolate, and the fruit notes complement the chocolate flavor.
- 2 Sheets Frozen filo pastry.
- 2 Lindt 60% Dark Chocolate or any other chocolate you prefer.
- 1 egg
- Chili flakes, peppermint crisp pieces, nuts etc. (all optional extras you can be as creative as you want to be).
- Flaky Salt
- Defrost your two sheets of filo pastry.
- Divide each Lindt chocolate slab into 10 pieces, or if you’re using a chocolate bar cut them in half until you have 20 halves.
- On a lightly floured piece of parchment paper, roll out one sheet of puff pastry, the dough must be rolled out large enough to fit 20 chocolate pieces. Arrange the chocolate pieces on the rolled-out dough and divide them equally
- Brush the dough with egg wash thoroughly over all visible dough.
- Roll out the second sheet of puff pastry so that it’s slightly larger than the first piece and place it gently over the first sheet with the pre-arranged chocolate pieces. Press gently on all four sides and all around each chocolate piece.
- Transfer to a cutting board, and cut between all the chocolate pieces, so you have 20 individually sealed rectangles with a chocolate piece in the centre.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Distribute the chocolate-filled puff pastries among two parchment-lined pans, brush with egg wash, sprinkle with flaky salt and bake for 20–25 minutes.