This French Lentil, Beetroot and Red Onion salad is a lovely snack with some Rye Sourdough bread, or as a side salad with some tasty burgers.
To make the salad you will need
- 190g French or Green Lentils
- One Bay Leaf
- One medium red onion, diced
- One cooked beetroot, diced
- Salt and Pepper
For the dressing you will need
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Combine half the onion in a small bowl with the sugar and lemon juice. Stir well and leave to stand. Heat the hazelnuts in a dry frying pan until toasted. Tip out onto a plate.
- Heat the oil in the pan, then fry the remaining onion for 5 minutes until pale golden. Add the lentils and beetroot and cook for 5 minutes until hot throughout.
- Crumble in the feta. Serve topped with the onion pickle and hazelnuts.