Try this delicious whipped Chardonnay butter with baked snoek, courtesy of Rietvallei Wine Estate in Robertson.
- 1 whole snoek, cleaned, cut open and salted
- 1 bottle of Rietvallei Classic Chardonnay
- 250g butter, softened
- Spring onions, chopped
1. In a pot on medium heat, add the bottle of chardonnay and let it reduce down until you have 100ml, set aside and allow to cool.
2. Whip the butter in a bowl at high speed if using a machine, until it’s white and fluffy, slowly add the cooled wine to the butter until combined, season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Defrost the snoek in the fridge overnight if frozen, place it on a large baking tray and splash it with oil and grind some black pepper on top. Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Place the tray in the oven and bake for 15minutes or until cooked. This will depend on the size of the snoek.
4. When the snoek comes out of the oven, let it rest for 5 minutes then spoon the chardonnay butter on top and sprinkle with chopped spring onions. Alternatively, you can also braai the snoek on the fire – all depends on season and taste