This lip-smacking lamb shanks recipe from Rietvallei Wine Estate will leave your guests wanting more! Pair the Skaapboud (Afrikaans) with a bottle of the winery’s Estéanna Cabernet Franc Cabernet Sauvignon Petit Verdot red blend. Serve with mashed potatoes on the side.
- 4 large lamb shanks
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp butter, divided.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 1 cup re wine / Rietvallei Shiraz
- Mashed potatoes, for serving
- Preheat oven to 180°c. Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven heat oil to medium-high. Add lamb and cook so you can have a golden color on all sides, about 4 minutes per side. Remove the lamb and place it on a plate for later.
- Using the same pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots and garlic and cook until soft, then add tomato paste and stir until vegetables are coated.
- Add the broth and tomato sauce, then return lamb shanks to the pot. Add rosemary, cover the pot and transfer to oven. Cook until lamb shanks are completely tender, 2 ½ hours.
- Remove lamb from pot and set aside for now.
- Return the pot to the stove over medium heat. Add wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer until thickened – 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve lamb with mashed potatoes and spoon sauce on top. Season with salt and pepper to taste.